Monday, December 5, 2011

Lanham Lake: First Snowshoe Trip

Surprise!  Two posts in one day -- I have a lot to catch you up on (still working on South Africa, it's going to be a long post). 

On Saturday the husband and I went to use our new snowshoes (early Christmas present to each other) in the Cascade Mountains.  Will picked a beautiful route up to a snow-covered lake at the top called Lanham Lake.  We had a great time playing in our new toys and getting out and enjoying the winter weather.  The great thing about Seattle is that you can be near all sorts of winter sports within an hour or so but don't actually get all the snow at home.

The weather was very nice on Saturday and we got lots of sun on the hike.  I was surprised how warm I was throughout the day.  I had on a few too many layers, you really work up a sweat snowshoeing!







At the top - Lanham Lake.


*Sorry for the poor quality of the photos - Will has some better ones on his iPhone but I didn't download them.  Also, as an aside, the cold weather sucks all the battery out of electronics (both of our phones and cameras died at the top).  So if you are planning a cold activity, insulate your electronics.

4 comments:

  1. i would love living near snow like that (but not in it everyday). great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments. Yes, we love having access to snow, but not having to deal with it on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! I know what you mean about it being warm in the sun. I went snowshoeing (whoa, that word looks strange) a couple years ago in Seattle and we wound up in T-shirts by the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete